The Scriveners' Company Sexcentenary Charity was established on 1 Aug 2020 when it superseded the Sexcentenary Charity Fund of the Worshipful Company of Scriveners. The purpose of the change in structure of the Charity was to form a new Charitable Incorporated Organisation (CIO) which updates the governance structure and reviews the overall charitable objectives.
The overarching aims of the CIO remain the same and are:
- Providing for the relief of hardship among Liverymen and Freemen of the Worshipful Company of Scriveners and their dependents;
- The making of grants to schools, colleges and other organisations for the advancement of education and contributing in whole or in part, to bursaries being awarded by such schools, colleges and other organisations, particularly but not limited to those involved in trades and crafts associated with the Worshipful Company of Scriveners;
- The relief of those in need by reason of youth, age, ill-health, disability, financial hardship or other disadvantage;
- The advancement of culture and heritage in the trades and crafts associated with the Worshipful Company of Scriveners;
- To support the charitable work of the Lord Mayor of the City of London;
- To further the charitable work of the Worshipful Company of Scriveners.
In common with other livery companies, we support City of London-associated schools, services affiliations, the Lord Mayor's Appeal, and other charitable organisations with which the Company has an association - such as the College of Arms, the Heraldry Society and the Society of Scribes and Illuminators. We also give annual prizes for Calligraphy and Illumination, and for clarity and excellence of Handwriting (the Karen Nehammer Prize) for year 6, 7, 8 and 9 pupils at schools associated with the City.
The Charity Fund may also support 'such Charitable Foundations for such Charitable Purposes as the Court shall from time to time in its absolute discretion determine and direct'.
Any applications to the Sexcentenary Charity within the areas mentioned above should be made to the Clerk. Please note that distributions are made only once a year and that applications are considered between January and March only.